History of Duck Lake
"See Seep SaKayegan" is what the First Nations people called the small body of water, more commonly known today as Duck Lake. It is believed to have gotten its name from the mulitude of ducks that would migrate through the area in the early spring and late fall.
Before the incorporation of our province, Duck Lake was known to exist. It was incorporated as village in 1894 and a town in 1911. It was, at one time, an important center in the western part of Canada. It housed the Northwest Mounted Police during the Reil uprising. The jail in which Almighty Voice was held captive is presently situated at the Regional Interpretive Centre.
With the coming of the railroad, the settlement moved 1/2 mile east, from its location by the lake, closer to the railroad. The train brought loads of immigrants, amoung whom were Doukabour, English, French and other small parties of every nationality, who made Duck Lake their starting point. The year of 1890 saw a large influx of immigrants to the area.
The years from 1890 to 1920 can be considered boom years for Duck Lake due to the ever-growing number of settlers. Boom years were again experienced in the late 1960's and 1970's when many new areas of the town were opened up for development.